Parents / guardians are a key part of the Muckross community, and the School has a very active Parents’ Association (PA). The PA Committee works on behalf of the parent community organising activities and events which benefit students, their parents and the School. All parent/guardians of Muckross girls are automatically members of the PA.
The role of the PA is to:
- Provide a forum to represent the views of parents to the Principal and the Board of Management, primarily through monthly meetings of the PA Committee during the school year.
- Keep parents updated on School news and responses to queries, by way of email and updates from your year group representatives. We’re also on Twitter (@MuckrossP).
- Organise social events to help parents get to know each other. This year’s events include a table quiz and coffee mornings / evening events for parents in each year.
- Organise informative events, e.g. talks by well know experts on topics relevant to the parents of teens and CAO information session for 6th year parents.
- Fundraise to cover general PA expenses and to support specific fundraising projects identified by the School to improve facilities for our daughters.
- Provide funding for, and help with, student activities such as the Transition Year musical and the annual second-hand uniform and book sale.
- Organise refreshments at School events such as the Christmas Carol Service.
- Prepare and circulates parent class contact lists for each year group.
In January 2018, the PA announced the launch of the REACH campaign, a new initiative to nurture the community spirit of all the families and friends of Dominican College Muckross Park. The REACH campaign will celebrate our girls past and present and enable our girls’ future. There will be a programme of fun and inspiring regular events, run by the Parents’ Association, some of which will help raise funds for the school.
The PA AGM takes place in the School in September each year and all parents are welcome to attend. A number of important activities take place at the AGM:
- The PA reports on its work in the previous school year and its finances.
- Reports are also received from the Principal and Board of Management on what has been happening in the School.
- New members are elected from the parent body to the PA Committee.
- Parent nominees to the Board of Management are also elected from the parent body at the AGM. Chris McEllhinney (daughter in 6th year) and Rachelle Nelson (daughter in 4th year) are the current parent nominees on the Board of Management. They were elected at the AGM held on 28th September 2016 and will serve on the Board of Management for a period of 3 years.