Dedication Plaque for Roll of Honour:
At the Garden Party in May 2007 a framed ‘Roll of Honour’ was presented to the school by Muckross Park PPU. Sister Barnabas presented it to Principal Patricia Fitzsimons on behalf of the PPU. The Roll contains the names from the original college register from 1884-1902. At that time Muckross was the first Catholic college in Ireland specifically intended for the higher education of women. The college not only catered for university students but also primary ones.
In September 2009 a dedication plaque to commemorate the presentation was put in place after a brief address to senior students on the history, the Dominicans, the Suffragette Movement, the 1916 Rising, St. Mary’s College and finally, the influence that Sr. Barnabas had on the life and history of the school. Transition year and Leaving Certificate classes were present as well as Ann Lucas, our wonderful librarian, and Margaret Grogan.
Deirdre Mac Mathuna